Friday, 1 April 2011

a special time

As promised in my last post, having arrived back home, done the washing, prepared Sunday's service and driven to College, visiting friends on the way, I will write more about my friend in Cumbria who has the gift of healing.
We had been to see her many times over the years but I had never had a session with her. I think of myself as being in good health although compared to others, there are several things which could be better, so I made an appointment.
Gretchen describes the healing as being through gentle touch. The session took place in a light airy room in a beautiful Victorian former Vicarage. I laid on a treatment bed (a little higher and narrower than a single bed) and Gretchen sat by my side on an office chair with wheels. She held my hand gently and we continued our conversation about how I re-met my childhood sweetheart who is now my husband. She moved to my feet, which were cold as usual but her hands were lovely and warm. As she moved to my other side our conversation had moved on to the role of women, especially in the church. It was lovely to realise that we both 'danced on the edge'. Gretchen then moved round to my head, gently massaging and holding it.
This had taken about 50 minutes with only short periods of good silence. She then told me that she would leave me for about ten minutes. During this time I was totally relaxed, not moving a muscle, enjoying the sensation of the stillness and peace. This was wonderful for me as many of my friends know that I have a benign tremor which is annoying more than anything else, but here I was still! 
I have had similar experiences over the years through contemplative prayer during which I know healing took place but this session was far deeper.
After the ten minutes, Gretchen came back into the room and I very carefully got off the bed not wanting to do anything to alter the stillness of my my body.
We went out to lunch afterwards and for the first time in many years, I managed to eat peas without them flying off my fork. Instead of spraying them over the table they went straight into my mouth.
It is advised to have several sessions and to take great note of what one's body is telling you after the session. Unfortunately there was only time for one session before leaving Cumbria and I wasn't able to lie down in the afternoon as my body would have liked.
But next time......
And if you would like to know more

No comments:

Post a Comment